Skip to main content

tv   The 11th Hour With Brian Williams  MSNBC  November 26, 2020 3:00am-4:00am PST

3:00 am
>> richard schiff, thank you very much for joining us tonight. we have get to the commercial fast. richard schiff gets tonight's last word. the 11th hour with brian williams starts right now. it has to start right now. good evening. day 1406 of the trump administration. it's been 18 days since the election was called for joe biden and on this day, when our nation lost over 2,200 people, what a contrast between two men. the outgoing and incoming president. donald trump in the space of over 24 hours pardoned a turkey and a guy who committed a felony. while today calling for the outcome of the election to be overturned. he said it out loud, joe biden,
3:01 am
on the other hand, gave what was billed as a thanksgiving address to the nation. exhorting the american people to join him in fighting the virus and not each other, a call for resilliance, while noting how tired we are in the face of this uncontrolled pandemic. >> i know the country has grown weary of the fight. we need to remember we're at war with the virus. not with one another. not with each other. this is the moment where we need to steel our spines, redouble our efforts and recommit ourselves to the fight. so hang on. don't let yourself surrender to the fatigue. i know we can and we will beat this virus. america's not going to lose this war. america holds fast with conviction out of pain comes possibility. out of frustration comes
3:02 am
progress. and out of division, unity. >> as the transition moves forward both biden and harris will receive their first daily intelligence brief on monday. more cabinet nominees expected to be announced last week. politico says that biden is leaping toward appointing tom donilon as cia director. this brings us to one michael flynn who lied about his conversations with russians, then who pleaded guilty twice. flynn also initially cooperated with mueller's investigation as expected trump did pardon him today, posting this, quote, it is my honor to grant general michael t. flynn a pardon.
3:03 am
the justice department which had been trying to get charges against flynn dismissed in court said it only learned of trump's decision today, but called the move an appropriate use of the pardon power. earlier on this network, a former fbi counterintelligence official had this to say about this pardon. >> the president who claims he's a law and order president has just said in this pardon that it's okay to lie to law enforcement, even if you admit that you have done it. we need an attorney general who is actually about law and order. we need an attorney general who understands that america is his or her client and who, therefore, relates to america and understands what we have been through as a country in the last four years. >> irony of ironies, sally yates, the former doj official who first sounded the alarm to the trump white house about flynn said to be on biden's short list for attorney general. as all of this unfolds, we can
3:04 am
say yet again tonight this virus is at its peak in our country right now. "the new york times" paints a dire picture of the surge noting for the first time since the virus erupted in our country we have added over 2 million cases in the past two weeks. "washington post" ads to the story noting the daily death tolls not reaching what we have seen early may. over 2,200 new deaths were recorded. new cdc forecasts estimate the total of 294,000 covid deaths by december 19th. yet, despite pleas from officials and health experts to stay home, millions are traveling for the thanksgiving holiday weekend. politico says trump officials and the biden transition team today held the first of several meetings about the vaccine. and dr. fauci said he's already reached out to biden's chief of staff now that he's allowed to.
3:05 am
>> i have been in contact with ron klain. touching base with me, telling me we'll be talking about this very soon now that the transition in process. >> the pandemic is still taking a heavy toll on jobs. weekly jobless claims total just over three quarters of a million. tragic especially at this time of the year. with all this going on, the outgoing president remains laser focused not on jobs or the pandemic, but on overturning the results of an election he lost. today, they touted a pennsylvania judge's decision to issue a temporary order preventing further action to certify the election results pending a hearing. more on that with the state's second senior official just ahead. and trump's lawyer rudy giuliani was front and center today at an odd event that was billed as a hearing by republican state
3:06 am
lawmakers on alleged election irregularities. no one was under oath and it was held in a wyndham hotel ballroom in gettysburg. president was rumored to attend in person but instead, phoned in to the gathering to make more false claims about winning swing states like pennsylvania. >> this election was lost by the democrats. it was a fraudulent election. we have to turn the election over because there's no doubt we have all the evidence, we have all of the affidavits. all we need is a judge to listen to it properly without having a political opinion or having another kind of a problem because we have everything. >> trump indeed invited some of those same pennsylvania state lawmakers who took part in that gettysburg gathering this afternoon to the white house tonight to be part of an indoor
3:07 am
gathering on thanksgiving eve. it's a lot, but with that let's bring in our leadoff guests on this thanksgiving eve. peter baker from "the new york times" who along with his wife and writing partner susan glasser is the author of the new best seller "on the life and times of james a. baker iii." jason johnson, journalist, professor, go bears. a senior aide, a non-resident fellow at brookings and we appreciate the three of you helping to tell our story here as we begin the hour. peter baker, i'd like to start with you and your beat. kind of a split look from the president and the administration today. this type of pardon is the type of pardon a departing president
3:08 am
makes. though you wouldn't have known that to look at the rest of the campaign infrastructure. there was rudy, this time rudy with the matte finish, appearing at a hearing that was not a hearing, in hotel ballroom to argue for overturning the election, something we heard the president say out loud today. peter at long last, what is the state of the obama presidency on this thanksgiving eve? >> well, look, at this point it's just shouting into the wind. i mean, you can sit in the hotel ballroom, complain about the election all you want, but that's not going to do anything to overturn it. and this process is basically on path to being resolved. the swing states are certifying the elections. his own administration is ascertained that joe biden is a legitimate winner and deserving of the resources provided by
3:09 am
federal law. everybody else except for trump is moving on. the rest of the world is getting ready to deal with the biden administration. senators are getting ready for you know confirmation hearings for biden's choices and everyone is focused on the holiday and on the covid, you know, pandemic that we're seeing spiking at this terrible time except for the president. it's quite -- i think quite a stretch. now, you'll -- this is not the only pardon you're likely to see. what we're hearing from our sources inside trump's circle is that more pardons are almost certainly going to be on the way over the next 50 some days. with a lot of people who are certainly seeking them, hoping for them. hanging out a shingle waiting for them. but one of the big questions is whether or not the president tries to pardon himself. you can see him laying the groundwork for this with the kind of hearing you saw today about how he's been cheated. he's been robbed. he's been gypped. he's been -- you know, the
3:10 am
system is rigged against him. you can see in effect a narrative that he is laying out there that might try to back up the idea that he himself would try to -- for the first time in history to be the first president to pardon himself for any crimes he may or may not have committed against the federal government. >> and to my friend jason, i'm aware muscle memory got the best of me and i asked our friend peter to sum up the state of the obama presidency. obviously, a mistake. obviously we all need at the time off which we are about to get, but it does bring me to my question to you. talk to biden's remarks today, tone and tenor, and how familiar they were, how we can trace them back to let's say 44 of our previous presidents. >> yeah. you know, brian, joe biden has very successfully and i -- this was even the case before he officially won the presidency,
3:11 am
of laying out a sort of tone and groundwork for we're going to get back to work, focus on organizing this country and trying to put people back into the lives they had gotten to. i have loved the fact, brian -- because it's a prevailing theme. i think it's one of the number one reasons he's president. the current president donald trump's mismanagement of covid opened the door for biden to come in. he said, look, we are trying to shut down covid not shut down the economy. look, we're going to war against covid, not against each other. the rhetoric of warfare has been the kind of thing that rallies americans together. so i think that that is a very good and a very effective sort of rhetorical technique. the question will be as to whether or not he can rally republicans around the kind of money and resources that are going to be necessary to establish these changes, but again, i also like the tone that i have heard from biden where he said we're going to move ahead,
3:12 am
we're going to move ahead whether republicans help us or not and he'll go through that for the first 100 days once he's in office. >> jason, let me take one more to your accurate point there and that is all the verbiage biden used today was on the table and available to the incumbent president. we can beat this, who's with me. we have had greater challenges before. we're the united states of america after all. instead, he chose denialism. >> yeah. well, yeah. the current president is responsible for where we are now. his undoing politically was his inability to manage the issue. his son has gotten sick, herman cain, you know, the fact that donald trump isn't just responsible for over 250,000 americans dying from covid, he is also probably directly responsible for so many people in his orbit continuing to
3:13 am
contract covid and him not doing anything about it. him not even facilitating the resources necessary to make these kinds of changes. him not even saying i wouldn't be surprised, brian, if we saw him having a thanksgiving meeting with all sorts of people running in and out which every single doctor has told us not to do for safety. joe biden isn't just laying down the ground work for how he'll behave as the new president of the united states. he's set a contrast about modeling decent behavior, how you select your administration, how you organize things and how you behave in order to help the country through the unforeseen pandemic. >> now to the only actual doctor on the four of us and that's dr. patel. this pandemic is at an alarming rate. there's no pride in this, we have been able to come on the air and say the virus is at its
3:14 am
peak right now. that's because it breaks every day's previous records. is it a given in your line of work that what's happening now, thanksgiving, with families gathering will lead us to a grim and dark set of circumstances and a potential bump in deaths and hospitalizations just in time for christmas? >> it is, brian, and it worries me because as you point out not just in time for christmas, but we're getting into the season where i think critically speaking we have health care workers. my brothers and sisters are literally giving their lives right now and i don't know how much more they can take. we are trying to figure out how to navigate what the next six to ten weeks will look like. i'm ecstatic that a biden elect administration is already getting in the room and getting the planning going. i know what that looks like from the transition from bush to obama and it's a lot of work
3:15 am
that brian, this is not just toppling all records to be honest with you. this is breaking the backs of the health care systems that we need to stay open, stay alive, stay vibrant. these are the same health care workers who are going to be involved in getting the vaccine out. they are not looking at holidays and loved ones the way we are. they are trying to think about staying alive so they can make sure they get us through to 2021. and so i just hope, you know, listen you have been doing this reporting every night. i hope people tonight just pause wherever they are, try to do what they can to stay safe. their lives are on the line and so are some of my friends who are doing this in hospitals around the country. >> absolutely. thank you for adding that, doctor. peter, to return to the naked politics of this moment, we do after have an incumbent president trying to overturn the
3:16 am
results of the election. tim alberta picked up this reporting. he was reporting about the situation in michigan and got this quote attributed to the president. i don't get at the president venting confusion and frustration. all of the republicans over the country they win their races and i'm the only guy that loses. what is the president missing here? >> well, what he's mentioning is the in fact that he separated himself from other politicians for four years, actually longer than that from the time he had started to run. he does not see himself as a politician, but he's an outsider, someone to disrupt the system. his nomination was a hostile takeover of one of the two political phrases, that's the phrase, by the way, that jared kushner uses. it doesn't mean they have rejected all of his policies, i doesn't mean they have rejected all of the republican policies.
3:17 am
a lot of the americans still believe in what he stands for, but as they told us in the voting booth, they're disappointed in how he's handled covid and disappointed in how he's handled the country and the twitter style and the various ways that he has been accused of misconduct. i think that it's not surprising that people could make a distinction between one and the other. >> jason, i have something to play for you. this is former congressman and host of "morning joe" joe scarborough with nicolle wallace earlier. >> whether you like susan collins or not, the people of maine elected here by 9 percentage points. they voted for joe biden by 9 percentage points. they gave republicans -- i don't know how they gave kevin mccarthy's house more seats but they did. they wanted to check democrats
3:18 am
and they wanted joe biden in the white house to check republicans. so i have confidence that, you know, there are still some people in the middle who will work with joe biden, whether it's susan collins or whether it's lisa murkowski or whether it's mitt romney on the republican side. whether it's joe manchin, mark kelly. governor hickenlooper on the democratic side. i believe there are six, seven, eight people of goodwill that will work with joe biden and will actually forge a consensus. so we can finally get things done in washington. it's been a very long time since we have regular order and have been able to pass bills domestically that actually could move this country forward into the 21st century. we are stuck in this partisanship and we have to move forward and do it. i think joe biden may be the perfect man for the perfect time to work with republicans and democrats alike. >> hey, jason, i wanted folks to
3:19 am
hear that, but former congressmen really know how to talk so i'm tight on time. brief reaction from you. will that give people hope? >> no. look, i love joe to death, but that's not going to happen. i don't know where the mysterious gang of eight he is, but the republican party under mitch mcconnell wants the democrats to be a one-term democrat and there are republicans who are living off the trumpist base which is going to destroy anything that joe biden wants to do. there will be no comity. >> and dr. patel, should the number one focus of the incoming administration be getting the vaccine out and getting it into american arms? >> absolutely. and at the same time, reassurance that we can test people and get the economy open. the two go hand in hand. >> allow me to wish you all and yours a happy thanksgiving.
3:20 am
along with our thanks for helping us out this thanksgiving eve. peter baker, jason johnson, dr. kavita patel, i appreciate it. coming up, the lieutenant governor from the commonwealth of pennsylvania says a few things about donald trump. and later, down-ballot democrats had a rough night and they need someone to keep control of the house in two years. who would want a thankless job? well, the front-runner is talking to us as "11th hour" is just getting started on thanksgiving eve. r" is just getting started on thanksgiving eve
3:21 am
♪ ♪
3:22 am
♪ smooth driving pays off with allstate, the safer you drive the more you save you never been in better hands allstate click or call for a quote today you never been in better hands allstate - with the ninja foodito intelligesmart xl grill.ing just pick your protein, select your doneness, and let the grill monitor your food. it also turns into an air fryer. bring outdoor grilling flavors indoors with the grill that grills for you.
3:23 am
this election was rigged and which can't let it happen and we can't let it happen for our country and this election has to
3:24 am
be turned around. >> the president speaking via iphone today repeating baseless claims of voter fraud at a staged so-called hearing with pennsylvania republicans in a hotel ballroom. the president said out loud over the phone he wanted to overturn the results of the election. the timing is curious. pennsylvania officially certified its election results for joe biden. today a judge there issued a temporary order preventing quote further action to certify results and josh j shapiro posted this does not impact the appointment of the electors. we will be filing an appeal with the pennsylvania supreme court momentarily. with us for more, john fetterman from the commonwealth of pennsylvania. thank you so much for being with us. we realize you have a lot on your plate, no pun intended. what is going on in your commonwealth tonight? >> what's going on, i mean, really the same thing that's
3:25 am
always going on. with the election. you know, this amway convention/carnival snake handling at the ramada doesn't change any facts about joe biden winning it and there's no additional voter fraud aside from the two cases that i have been talking about for the last three weeks. there is actually nothing new under the sun. joe biden won and what's curious is that if the rest of these down-ballot races aren't certified by november 30th we will have a house -- a house and half our senate. because the terms expire on november 30th. so there really is no end game for getting these results turned over. >> when you -- this is regarding your state, your commonwealth. you took an oath of office to hear a guy like rudy fly in to your state and make claims of
3:26 am
sweeping massive voter fraud. it must piss you off at a deep level. >> yeah. i don't take it seriously because no one real takes mr. giuliani seriously. everyone knows how this movie is going to end. like i said, it's just this -- it's just sad, you know, like weird pyramid scheme marketing thing at a ballroom at the ramada. like this wasn't an official function of the pennsylvania state senate. i'm the president of the pennsylvania state senate. there was no -- nothing official about this. this was simply just some weird rally in a hotel ballroom designed to spread more information because that's all it is. all they have is lies. they have had over three weeks now to come up with anything concrete and they haven't. where's the voter fraud? not one single case of voter fraud aside from the two established cases in pennsylvania which both involved
3:27 am
republicans trying to vote for trump with their relatives whether they were dead or living. >> well, at least you have republican lawmakers at the white house tonight where they make the covid fresh, they'll be coming back home after that gathering this evening. how does this -- >> yeah. >> how does this lead your opposition party, the republican party in pennsylvania after this? do you think they'll be healthier or poorer for having been dragged through this process in some cases helping lead this process. >> well, i understand there's elements in the republican party that need to pander to this -- to this lunatic fringe/death cult that is part of the republican party now. you know, i hope they had a good time at the white house. it's not going to change anything. so this idea that they have somehow uncovered any fraud or there was any fraud is absurd. the governor certified the presidential election results for joe biden. that can't be changed and these down-ballot races if they're not
3:28 am
certified we don't have a house or have our state senate and those are controlled by republicans. so they're literally trying to make the argument that there was fraud with joe biden's race but my race, there was no fraud in that race. so there's absolutely no basis in reality but that's never stopped them from lying. again, we have long past the point of turning our backs collectively on this, this yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is no fraud. it's absolutely a lie. it's not a dispute. it's an absolute lie designed to damage the american franchise and in pennsylvania it's not going to change anything because we all know that joe biden is the president-elect, no matter how amway conventions they have in hotel ballrooms across pennsylvania. >> i didn't want to ignore what is the actual lead story in pennsylvania today. i'm very sorry for the game postponement. i'm so looking forward to seeing those quarterbacks opposite each
3:29 am
other. your steelers are 10-0. we get to see it on sunday. we're knocking on wood everybody is healthy. thank you very much, lieutenant governor of the commonwealth of pennsylvania, john fetterman. happy thanksgiving to you and your family as well. >> thanks for having me. yes, the steelers are undefeated so we have that to be thankful for for sure. >> got that going for you. thank you, lieutenant governor. coming up for us, no pressure. our next guest is said to be the front-runner for a job among his fellow congressional democrats that his party is hoping will be the job that averts potential disaster for them in the midterm elections. again, no pressure. n, no pressue
3:30 am
trelegy for copd. ♪ birds flyin' high you know how i feel ♪ ♪ breeze drifting on by you know how i feel ♪ [man: coughing] ♪ it's a new dawn, it's a new day... ♪ no matter how you got copd it's time to make a stand. ♪ ...and i'm feelin' good start a new day with trelegy. no once-daily copd medicine has the power to treat copd in as many ways as trelegy. with three medicines in one inhaler, trelegy helps people breathe easier and improves lung function. it also helps prevent future flare-ups.
3:31 am
trelegy won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. do not take trelegy more than prescribed. trelegy may increase your risk of thrush, pneumonia, and osteoporosis. call your doctor if worsened breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling, problems urinating, vision changes, or eye pain occur. it's time to start a new day. ask your doctor about once-daily trelegy. and save at trelegy.com. ask your doctor aboutunlike ordinary memory want supplements-ter? neuriva has clinically proven ingredients that fuel 5 indicators of brain performance. memory, focus, accuracy, learning, and concentration. try our new gummies for 30 days and see the difference.
3:32 am
3:33 am
last night here we featured an interview conducted by axios with congressman cardenas, he's in line to head up the dccc, hugely powerful within the house because of the recruiting function and fund-raising. only problem was your humble and bumbling host made it sound like he had the job somehow when in fact the house democrats haven't voted yet and when in fact a good number of onlookers contend the front-runner for the job is democratic congressman shawn patrick moloney of new york. he has been elected to his fifth term in a district that donald trump won, but where the voters liked moloney's message and split the ticket. with apologies for getting his irish up, we are happy to
3:34 am
welcome shawn patrick moloney back on tonight. thank you very much. is it an overstatement when you read the politico headline that this job is the job needed to avert disaster for the democrats and further, tell the good people watching the package of life experiences that you would bring to the role as opposed to your friend and former classmate and colleague in the house? >> well, look, you know, first of all, i don't -- i don't accept the premise that democrats are somehow are on their heels for 2022. i think we have a message and a focus on the kitchen table issues, whether it's the pandemic or health care or jobs our good wages. i think we'll have a popular president in the places we need to win, that's great. i think we'll have a recovering economy and a pandemic in the
3:35 am
rearview mirror so i think execution is key. whether the caucus chooses me or my friend tony cardenas we'll make history and more importantly we'll have someone who internalizes all of the voices of the caucus, develops a battle plan and wins and that's what i'm offering to my democratic colleague. if they give me this job, we are going to hold this majority. and you can write it down. >> okay. you know the math is steep. i hear you that you like your chances. you know that speaker pelosi is going to get handed the slimmest majority in decades. you know what happens in midterm elections with newly elected presidents, but your point is that in the places where they love them some joe biden, you guys feel you can run up the score if you change your messaging and perhaps present a different face of the democrats in congress?
3:36 am
>> i think it's too soon to make specific statements like that. you know, i ran after -- the action report and we listened to all of the voices. developed the battle plan. we won 40 seats. i don't that, lujan did it, and speaker pelosi did it, a lot of great candidates did it, and we can architect a great strategy and we can do it. but we're more in sync with the people i grew up with than the red team and whether they pick cardenas or shawn patrick moloney, the red team is coming for all of us and we won't let that happen. we're being to develop a kitchen table agenda around people's jobs and health care and things like, you know, getting kids back to school and opening the businesses responsibly and we are going to offer solutions. if we have to execute better and
3:37 am
communicate like huge beings, so be it. i'm not afraid to speak my mind and i do believe there's more opportunity than ever. this is a hopeful time as we gather around the thanksgiving table. and look, close counts in horseshoes are not in control of the house. the republicans are acting like they won. we have the gavel, the end. yeah, it's a little closer, but they failed and they failed -- they got beat for the white house and beat for the house. mitch mcconnell better watch his back. he's got to get out of the stone ages and start offering solutions now because there's a pincher movement that's going to happen between the democratic caucus and the strong new president and i'm excited about that. >> final question and it's the dicey kind. are democrats ready to own how much damage defund the police did as a phrase, as a movement, to races all over the country and to candidates and incumbents that had nothing to do with it? >> well, i mean, let's be
3:38 am
careful. first of all, the democratic house majority is not, you know, responsible for that rhetoric. in fact, no one is responsible except the minneapolis police officer who murdered george floyd and a lot of people thought that was wrong. and were right to point out that historic and systemic problem with racism in america. i think that hearing about racism counts to a lot, and of course we'll support good police. because there are voices that call for things we don't support or our republican opponents want to lie and caricature that and we should not confuse that with what we support. if it falls on us, that's fair. but don't blame us because they're lying about what we stand for. my goodness, the fact of the matter is is that we held control of the house and there are many things we can do better, lord knows n the digital
3:39 am
area, in organizing in the community, in addressing the complexities of the many latino communities that differ in south florida or rio grande valley, new york, california, and yes, you know the justice in policing act named after george floyd is a good piece of legislation. i was proud to support it in my trump district. i won by double digits for the third time in a row. that's a tall order as a gay guy and i won't run away from from trying to change what's wrong in america just because a bunch of people on the red team will lie about it and caricature it and i ask do not adopt their language. >> i asked because it had been affixed to candidates who had nothing to do with the messaging and some very little to do with movement. your house colleague, max rose, down in staten island, it got hung around him in a very
3:40 am
effective ad campaign that he tried to counter, but too late. this necessarily means we're going to have you back on to continue this conversation. the man, the latest casual nose count has as the front-runner for the dccc job. our thanks to congressman shawn patrick moloney. congratulations on your re-election. we wish you and your family the happiest thanksgiving and thanks for coming on. >> thank you. stay safe. coming up for us, we'll talk to the noted historian who famously said just weeks ago our country has just survived a very close call even with all of the damage still being done. - [announcer] welcome to intelligent indoor grilling with the ninja foodi smart xl grill. just pick your protein, select your doneness, and let the grill monitor your food. it also turns into an air fryer. bring outdoor grilling flavors indoors with the grill that grills for you.
3:41 am
unlike ordinary memory want supplements-ter? neuriva has clinically proven ingredients that fuel 5 indicators of brain performance. memory, focus, accuracy, learning, and concentration. try our new gummies for 30 days and see the difference.
3:42 am
>>it's shiori. what? >>shi - or - i adam, emily and then... s-uh um... >>it's shiori. sh-ori. thank you, that's great. shiori
3:43 am
(in japanese) there you go. >>yeah. (in japanese) wow, it looks beautiful! >>(in japanese) really?! i really like it. to customizes yourcan gocar insurancetual.com so you only pay for what you need? really? i didn't-- aah! ok. i'm on vibrate. aaah! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ if i had to describe president obama in one word. >> i can't do it in one word. >> one word.
3:44 am
>> empathetic. >> tough. >> pragmatic. >> cool. >> the mean answer -- i won't say that on tape. >> probable as a gentleman. >> nice guy. >> complicated. >> wisdom. >> with compassion. >> i wouldn't describe barack obama in a single word. american. >> all those people asked to describe the former president and let me explain why and what that's from. beginning this friday, this network is presenting a multipart primetime documentary series on barack obama and his legacy as told by those of us who covered him, those who know him best, those who worked for him, served alongside him. let's talk legacies with the most quoted man on this broadcast, the presidential historian, michael beschloss. his latest work is "presidents of war." it's part of what long ago became the beschloss shelf in our house. michael, great to see you, thanks for coming on. i was thinking of you today,
3:45 am
vis-a-vis a photo i have ready to show you and our audience. fairly well known. it was the last time our country had five presidents in the oval office and the big deal when this was published was to the far right, jimmy carter was a man apart. he was the -- which doesn't belong and why in this photo because he's different fundamentally in so many ways from his colleagues, but go forward from this. can you see donald trump, pun intended, standing for this kind of collegial event, this kind of post presidential tradition? >> no, i can't, brian, and the main reason for that is that as of tonight, donald trump has virtually no relationship with any former president. he's shunned them, he's said he doesn't need to go to them for advice because they're failures. and i think the result of this may very well be in the future that when there are gatherings of former presidents, he will not be there.
3:46 am
that's what happened to richard nixon after his resignation, from 1974 until his death, nixon was never included in a republican convention, nor did he attend an inauguration. >> i haven't had a chance to debrief you after your comment that you made on this network when the outcome of the election became apparent. you said we had come close. tell our audience what you mean. >> well, i think american democracy went through a near death experiment. i think if donald trump has been elected to the second term without the constrain of having to run again, you would have seen authoritarianism tried we haven't seen before. there are a lot of hints in the first term and i would shudder to think what it would be like in the second term who even after this point after he lost the election are amazingly
3:47 am
deferential. >> for the families who have been affected by this virus, even for folks who will gather tomorrow just as couples missing their kids, missing their extended family, this is a dark thanksgiving but i also following you on twitter these past several days you have been chronicling what was happening. what was thanksgiving 1963 like just when we think we're living through a dark thanksgiving ourselves in this country. >> well, american emotions had been brutalized by the assassination of president kennedy who was 46 years old. something that people had not seen in their lifetimes and the assassination of a president especially so young with young children and image after image of his widow, who was 34 years old, jackie. caroline who were 6 years old, john who was 3 on the day of his father's funeral. that was the kind of thing that americans had not seen before. in retrospect all those decades
3:48 am
later, i think americans look back and say in all sorts of ways american has never been the same since. >> let's end this segment where we started. you can use more than one word but especially in the hindsight that four years and the trump presidency has given us, what's the first draft of how you look back on barack obama as president? >> well, look what his contemporaries have just done this month. they just elected his chosen vice president, joe biden, by millions of popular votes. people are voting for barack obama with their feet. and i think the result will be important for him because no longer will you have a president falsely saying for four years when i came in after obama i inherited a mess and falsely saying that barack obama was spying on me. you will see joe biden who treats barack obama with the respect he deserves, who will welcome him back to the white
3:49 am
house for the first time in four years. hang his portrait, hang the portrait of michelle obama and i think the full circle will have been completed and barack obama will get the hearing in front of history that he's deserved since he left, but because of the last four years has not gotten. >> happy thanksgiving to you and yours. >> thank you. happy thanksgiving to your family and you, brian. >> michael beschloss. coming up, for the few, the proud, the brave, those who are traveling to be with others on thanksgiving, we have a guide, how to stay safe if you must, right after this. how to stay safe if you must, right after this here? nah. ♪ introducing the all new chevy trailblazer. here? nope. ♪ here. ♪ when the middle of nowhere, is somewhere.
3:50 am
the all new chevy trailblazer. making life's journey, just better. when you drive less, you pay less with pay per mile insurance from allstate you've never been in better hands allstate click or call for a quote today
3:51 am
allstate beautiful. but when i started cobra kai, the lack of control over my business made me a little intense. but now i practice a different philosophy. quickbooks helps me get paid, manage cash flow, and run payroll. and now i'm back on top... with koala kai. hey! more mercy. save over 30 hours a month with intuit quickbooks. the easy way to a happier business.
3:52 am
despite urgent warnings millions of americans are traveling this thanksgiving eve, despite a virus real enough to have canceled tomorrow night's nfl game they'll play on sunday. folks are traveling at
3:53 am
pre-pandemic levels. this is a live look at air traffic over our country right now. every one of those icons is a plane load of people. our report tonight on how to stay safe if you must be out there traveling from nbc news correspondent tom costello. >> reporter: despite a raging pandemic and a skyrocketing death toll, americans are on the move this thanksgiving. from miami headed north. >> so far being here has been safe. everybody's following orders. so no problem. >> reporter: to new york headed west. >> i really want to see my family. my dad was really sick, so it just needed to happen. >> reporter: roughly 1 million people a die flying each day since friday. even as the cdc urges americans to stay home. aaa projects 48 million people are hitting the roads. this family are driving to wisconsin. >> we want to stay safe and that's why we're absolutely staying within our inner circles and just going to our cabin.
3:54 am
>> reporter: while cars and planes may be lower risk, experts worry about airports, restaurants, trains, rental car shuttles and meals with family and friends. the nation's top docs warn we will likely pay a devastating price if hospitalizations soar as they did after memorial day, july 4th and labor day. >> this is clearly a super spreading event and we can see a surge of cases on top of the current surge in a couple of weeks. >> reporter: 18 states plus d.c. now require out of state arrivals to be tested or self-quarantined, but the cdc is now considering dropping the recommended self-quarantine time from two weeks down to seven to ten days. >> the accumulating data suggests that we don't have to wait 14 days. we know that the average person will get sick about five days after their exposure. >> reporter: meanwhile, tonight,
3:55 am
tsa agents are behindpl plexigl and keeping the travelers safe. coming up, a different kind of message to take us off the air tonight. take us off the air tonight. trelegy for copd. ♪ birds flyin' high you know how i feel ♪ ♪ breeze drifting on by you know how i feel ♪ [man: coughing] ♪ it's a new dawn, it's a new day... ♪ no matter how you got copd it's time to make a stand. ♪ ...and i'm feelin' good start a new day with trelegy. no once-daily copd medicine has the power to treat copd in as many ways as trelegy. with three medicines in one inhaler, trelegy helps people breathe easier and improves lung function. it also helps prevent future flare-ups. trelegy won't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden breathing problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it.
3:56 am
do not take trelegy more than prescribed. trelegy may increase your risk of thrush, pneumonia, and osteoporosis. call your doctor if worsened breathing, chest pain, mouth or tongue swelling, problems urinating, vision changes, or eye pain occur. it's time to start a new day. ask your doctor about once-daily trelegy. and save at trelegy.com.
3:57 am
ask your doctor abo- with the ninja foodito intelligesmart xl grill.ing just pick your protein, select your doneness, and let the grill monitor your food. it also turns into an air fryer. bring outdoor grilling flavors indoors with the grill that grills for you. last thing before we go here tonight, during the rough and tumble of the campaign that i think has ended by now, we often featured the ads by the lincoln project, the current, former, lapsed and weaponized
3:58 am
republicans who set out to beat trump and trumpism. we hear from them again, but with a very different kind of message for all of us. ♪ ♪
3:59 am
4:00 am
>> the lincoln project giving thanks. on behalf of the people who put this broadcast on the air every night during a pandemic no less, have a happy and safe thanksgiving and the true spirit of the holiday. good night. good morning, everyone. happy thanksgiving. we begin this morning with president trump giving one of his allies reason to give thanks while president-elect biden focuses on trying to give the entire country the reason to be thankful. president trump offered a full pardon to michael flynn who had previously pleaded guilty to lying to the fbi twice which is a felony. it's notable because it shows he's willing to shield his allies from legal consequences even when they admitted to breaking the law and one of the few official acts we have seen from the

117 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on